You are here


Minor children who come to Canada to study  and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a Custodian.

In Canada, each province and territory decides the age when a person is considered to be an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is considered to be a “minor child.” In British Columbia, the age of majority is 19 years.
Yurike Educational Services is pleased to provide a monitored custodial guardianship service for unaccompanied minor-aged students who are either:
staying in a homestay arranged and/or approved by Yurike Educational Services; or
staying on-campus at a recognized public or private post-secondary institution.
When we serve as your child's Custodian one of our competent staff members is assigned to monitor your child's well-being. Through interactions with the student, school staff, and, where necessary, the assigned host family we offer insight into your child's experience and present recommended remedial action to address any problems that may be encountered.
To establish custodial guardianship in Canada two notarized documents are required. The Custodian Declaration must be prepared  by the person who will serve as the student's Custodian in Canada. This document confirms that a local individual is both available and willing to represent the parent's interests in ensuring that the student has adequate care and support while in Canada.
The Parent Declaration must be prepared by the natural parents or legal guardians of the student. This document confirms that the natural parents or legal guardians of the student give permission for the assigned Custodian to act on their behalf to ensure their child has adequate care and support while in Canada.
Upon receipt of a completed Application for Custodial Guardianship a draft custodial declaration will be forwarded to you for review. Once the accuracy of the information has been confirmed we will arrange to have the document signed, notarized and then couriered to you so that it may be used in applying for a study permit to enter Canada.
Once a Canadian Visa Officer is satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for the care and support for an unaccompanied minor they will generally give favourable consideration to the approval of a study permit, provided the student has met all other requirements of the Canadian Government.